Tuesday 21 July 2015

Pastoral.




           Sheep may safely graze   Oils on canvas board   7 x 5 inches  


A return visit to Hackthorn for my framer Graham Perkins to fit a painting for me.  Armed with my camera I walked around the lanes.  This picture is part of a large meadow and I selected this part for my painting.The house and its silver slate roof peeps through the trees and there is a red roof of a farm building nearby.  A whole flock of sheep grazed peacefully in the field but I only wanted a few.  These seven were like woolly blobs in the long grasses so I painted them like that.  

I like my art to be a suggestion rather than formal reality.  Capturing the essence of the place is more important to me than detail.  A quiet, calm pastoral scene in rural Lincolnshire.


No comments:

Post a Comment