Thursday 13 August 2015

Charge of the Light Brigade.




          Shadows make the Light   Oils on canvas board   10 x 12 inches   SOLD


Diagonals rule in this study of light and shade.  Colour also plays a part as the grey/blue complements the orange/yellow hues.

The painting may well look easily painted...abstracted and loose...a feeling of relaxation.  Nothing could be further from the truth, however, as I struggled for hours trying to achieve more reality.  After several attempts the painting was getting near destruction as I wiped off the oils.   

I took a deep breath and stood back to evaluate the situation.  The penny dropped...I was not following my inner voice.  I have always said that rendering photographic reality is not in my soul.  'To thine own self be true' (from Shakespeare) came to mind as I picked up my brush.   This is the result and I am very happy with the outcome.

It is the fourth in my series of light on land and sea.


Here is the black and white version of the same painting...




Shadows make the Light


In this image it is easy to see the composition showing diagonals as the viewer's eye scans the picture.  From left to right or right to left there is a path to follow.  The values are quite close but still enough to give balance.  I wanted a sense of calm as the sun was setting so hard edged darks would possibly have been too much.  Enough fussing...I am inspired and happy so back to the easel and on with my work.



No comments:

Post a Comment