Friday 23 October 2015


Forbidden fruits.




                         Looking Around    oils on board  6 x 6 inches   SOLD


           Sometimes I throw caution to the wind...well...very often in the name of art. 

Looking around...a path leading me into trouble?  Maybe if I was caught in the act but I could not resist getting a reference photo of the back way into this farm garden as Whippet and I passed by. 

There were so many aspects of this scene which attracted me to creating a study.  The curving rough track, ruts and puddles, a broken down fence and gate posts, the triangle view of distant fields framed by the trees, sunlight on the path and above all...the mystery and element of risk.

Taking chances and exposing myself to risk is a daily part of my painting life.  Everything is risky.  Taking chances is what makes a painting work or even beginning the piece.  Looking for interesting subjects and the chance of seeing fleeting sunlight is dependent on being there at the right time. 

Back in my sudio choosing the right support and format, composition and colours all depend on making decisions which will lead to success or failure.  Choice is risky, mistakes and failure are my constant companion but better than the thought of not trying at all.  





No comments:

Post a Comment