Friday 22 July 2016


Vista.


Thoughtful   Oils on gessoed 140lb watercolour paper  


Mood and Mist...looking across the coastline.


Studio Musings...


The second study on a 12 x 16 inch paper.

I have used a very limited palette for these studies.  Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna,
Prussian Blue, and Permanent Rose with Titanium White.

I am fighting the temptation to be too muted.  Adding white cools colour and the work may become 'chalky'.  Washes of Burnt Sienna add a little warmth and a mix of Rose with Prussian and Burnt Sienna create some shadow and depth.  

It is all very experimental. 
 I work by adding, subtracting and generally pushing the oils around 
until I feel I have reached my goal.  It can take hours, days or minutes.

If the work is taking too long I know I am losing the battle.


No comments:

Post a Comment