Friday 13 January 2017


A fresh look.


Shallows   Oils on board   8 x 11 inches  

As the day begins...light sparkles on the shore.

On Hold for a Spring Show
(Please email if you are interested)


Studio Musings...


Show time again.
  I am preparing work for submissions in 2017.

This painting is one of a series of 'atmospheric-scapes' this year.
It is painted on board over a white gessoed ground.

Pushing the oils around I sketched out a possible composition.
At first I thought it would be a landscape but as I worked a coastal scene emerged.

I always let myself be free to move in whatever direction the oils guide.
Sometimes this is the result of a wipe-over or scrape down.

A ghost image or a smear of oils can trigger an idea.
I continue to work through any feelings of frustration until I get the 'aha' moment.
There is usually a sense of mystery which suits my personality.

The secret is to avoid getting too precious about the image and materials.
It is not life threatening...and no-one will get hurt if it ends in disaster.










No comments:

Post a Comment